The Giller Light Bash is an annual event that celebrates the Scotiabank Giller Prize while raising funds for Frontier College, a national charitable literacy organization founded in 1899.
Each year, Giller Light Bash events are held across Canada on the evening of the Scotiabank Giller Prize Gala, but like most events this year, the Giller Light Bash will take place virtually. Although you won’t be able to gather in person, this is still a great opportunity to connect with fellow book lovers while watching the Scotiabank Giller Prize broadcast and raising funds for this worthwhile cause.
Register now to attend this free event on Monday, November 9.
The Giller Light Bash will begin 30-minutes prior to the broadcast and will be hosted by Alayna Joy, an LGBTQ Canadian content creator. She is a popular Canadian YouTuber and defended Megan Gail Coles’ 2019 Scotiabank Giller Prize shortlisted novel Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club during Canada Reads 2020.
During the event, you will have the opportunity to take part in a silent auction and win prizes including a Kobo e-reader by participating in the costume contest and Guess the Giller.
The 2020 Scotiabank Giller Prize winner will be announced on November 9, at 9 p.m. EST via a live broadcast on CBC.
This 2020 shortlist includes:
- Gil Adamson for her novel Ridgerunner, published by House of Anansi Press
- David Bergen for his short story collection Here The Dark, published by Biblioasis
- Shani Mootoo for her novel Polar Vortex, published by Book*hug Press
- Emily St. John Mandel for her novel The Glass Hotel, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Souvankham Thammavongsa for her short story collection How To Pronounce Knife, published by McClelland & Stewart, an imprint of Penguin Random House Canada
Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram to stay up-to-date with the latest Scotiabank Giller Prize news.