Launched in January 2021, The Giller Book Club is one of The Giller Foundation’s initiatives to celebrate Canadian authors year-round. In 2021, we featured the 14 longlisted authors and books from 2020. These 60-minute discussions uniquely paired the longlisted authors with Canadian icons, other writers, journalists, reviewers, presidents of publishing houses, and artistic figures as interviewers.
The 2020 longlist included:
- Gil Adamson, for her novel, Ridgerunner, published by House of Anansi Press
- David Bergen, for his short story collection, Here The Dark, published by Biblioasis
- Lynn Coady, for her novel, Watching You Without Me, published by House of Anansi Press
- Eva Crocker, for her novel, All I Ask, published by House of Anansi Press
- Emma Donoghue, for her novel, The Pull of The Stars, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Francesca Ekwuyasi, for her novel, Butter Honey Pig Bread, published by Arsenal Pulp Press
- Michelle Good, for her novel, Five Little Indians, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Kaie Kellough, for his short story collection, Dominoes At The Crossroads, published by Véhicule Press
- Thomas King, for his novel, Indians On Vacation, published by Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.
- Annabel Lyon, for her novel, Consent, published by Random House Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House Canada
- Shani Mootoo, for her novel, Polar Vortex, published by Book*hug Press
- Emily St. John Mandel, for her novel, The Glass Hotel, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Seth, for his graphic novel, Clyde Fans, published by Drawn & Quarterly
- Souvankham Thammavongsa, for her short story collection, How To Pronounce Knife, published by McClelland & Stewart, an imprint of Penguin Random House Canada
We invite you to watch or rewatch the book club discussions from 2021 below!